HISTORY OF HOLY FAMILY SCHOOL
In 1986 the parishes of Holy Trinity, St. Ann, St. Mary of the Assumption, and Sacred Heart, merged their schools, originally established between 1890 and 1930, forming Phoenixville Area Catholic Elementary School. Administered by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, on December 31, 1989, the Feast of the Holy Family, the school changed its name to Holy Family.
In 1991 the prekindergarten, which had been operated independently by St. Ann Parish, was incorporated into Holy Family, and in 1995, a three year old preschool was added to the school.
In 1999, the children of St. Joseph parish, Spring City, joined the Holy Family School community, and in July 2012, the Holy Trinity and Sacred Heart parishes were absorbed by St. Mary and St. Ann parishes, respectively. Today the school remains a preschool through eighth grade operation supported by St. Ann, St. Joseph, and St. Mary parishes.
In 1993 the Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters withdrew from Holy Family School and Mrs. Patricia Dura was named the first lay principal. During Mrs. Dura’s tenure several renovation projects were undertaken, including construction of the preschool and pre-K classrooms, creation of a computer lab, remodeling of the office and nursing areas, and conversion of the auditorium into four classrooms and an art room. A scholarship program was also established.
Mrs. Dura implemented many technological advances that put Holy Family ahead of most diocesan and many public schools. A website was launched, the library was computerized, on-line grading and parental access to grades were initiated, report cards were computer-generated, and projectors and whiteboards were installed in many classrooms.
With Mrs. Dura’s retirement in 2009, Mrs. Ann Marie Braca was named the new principal, and Holy Family continued to evolve. Smartboards were installed in all classrooms; seventh and eighth graders were outfitted with personal iPads; fifth and sixth graders were equipped with personal netbooks; a set of iPads was acquired for lower grades; the computer lab was upgraded; and a new website was launched.
Academically, the past five years have seen a focus on DIBELS and other reading assessments in Grades K-2 to enable teachers to identify and address areas of concern. The adoption of the Common Core Standards, the introduction of Rosetta Stone Spanish in grades 6-8, and the implementation of the First-In-Math on-line program enhance an already strong academic program.
Holy Family has established a renewed emphasis on service and community by instituting student-driven individual classroom based service projects, forming the Open Arms service club for our 7
th and 8
th graders, and re-imagining and restructuring the Home & School Association to focus on building community rather than raising money.
Beyond academics and service, the school has undergone many facility improvements, including repainting more than 75% of the interior, replacing most of the old carpeting with more sanitary tile, and landscaping the exterior, and installing a Holy Family statue in the front of the school.
Fiscally, the school is on sound footing. After uncovering and eliminating previously incurred liabilities, Holy Family School is currently debt free with a balanced budget and a capital fund. An Annual Fund Drive has been established to increase revenue from outside sources, and Holy Family has enjoyed an increase in both scholarship money and EITC funds for scholarship.
Proud of our history and grateful for God’s presence in our lives, the current Holy Family School faculty and staff continue the mission entrusted to them, summarized in our motto:
Christ Centered…Student Focused… Family Driven.
Please click on a link to the left to see more information about our school community.